Some weeks go as follows:
- Monday: Are you awake? Is it Monday?
- Tuesday: Your first blissful thought is, “Oh thank God, it is Friday!” No good can come from this day.
- Wednesday: Thinking about Friday all day yesterday gets you curious about your weekend and all the reading you will get to do. Nope, your Google calendar squares are just solid blocks of colors for Saturday and Sunday.
- Thursday: That wonderfully fizzy cola (yes…judge) you have been able to avoid drinking until the appropriate time of 10 am hits your tastes buds completely flat and thoroughly disgusting.
- Friday: You get woken up by a panicked child realizing that their long ago assigned book report/diorama/poster combo is not due next week but today. Yes, thank God it’s Friday!
- Saturday: You have no idea what just happened.
- Sunday: Is the next day Monday? Have you had a vacation before said Monday? (This is a trick question as either a “yes” or “no” answer is equally bad for you).
Take heart, while every thing around you is falling apart, here is a list of books that will make you and your child laugh every single time. No, those five or ten minutes of laughter will not change a single thing, but you will read and you will laugh and we all know some weeks that’s as much as you can ask for.
- The Day the Crayons Quit (Drew Daywalt) – Because who knew crayons were so funny!
- 11 Experiments That Failed (Jenny Offill) – Because life.
- The Book With No Pictures (B.J. Novak) – Because this is the only book that has given my three year old belly laughs.
- Count the Monkeys (Mac Barnett) – Because things are never as simple as that.
- Stick (Steve Breen) – Because the last page.
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late (mo willems) – Because Pigeon.
- Where the Sidewalk Ends (Shel Silverstein) – Because hilarity ensues.
- The Monster at the End of This Book (Jon Stone) – Because Grover cracks everyone up.
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (Judith Viorst) – Because life, even in Australia.
- The Three Ninja Pigs (Corey Rosen Schwartz)- Because ninjas and pigs.
What hilarious books are on your list?